Sunday, October 25, 2009

Roasted Tomato Soup

Here's one of those recipes based on a classic that I've modified. Classically roasted tomato soup would be done with fresh tomatoes but good fresh tomatoes are hard to come by in Maine for most of the year so I've used canned tomatoes. I've also added my own twist with roasted sweet red peppers.

Ingredients:
  • 2 14oz cans of tomatoes, diced or whole
  • 1/2 roasted sweet red pepper (the kind in a jar, use fresh if you have it but I didn't)
  • Olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Sliver of onion (I'm not sure how much, it was about an 1/8 inch slice off the half onion in my fridge)
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • Italian seasoning
  • Kosher salt
  • Ground black pepper
  • Bay leaf
Directions:
1: Drain the cans of tomatoes, reserving liquid for later.
2: Lay tomatoes, onion, and garlic on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil. Cut tomatoes in half if you are using whole canned tomatoes
3: Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until caramelized
4: Combine reserved tomato juice and chicken stock in your soup pot.
5: Place tomatoes, onion, garlic, and roasted peppers in your food processor and blend until at your preferred level of smoothness (I like a little chunky).
6: Add tomato mixture to your soup pot. Add the bay leaf and season with the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste.
7: Bring to a boil, reduce to medium and simmer about 10 minutes so the flavors meld together.

Served with some nice crusty toasted bread it's hearty but still very healthy.

No comments: